Friday, January 9, 2009

Part 2: The Departed

Grabbing my 40-pound mountain bike, knowing that I would have to rely on it as my only method of transportation, was earth shattering. The thought of 36 miles on that steel beast made me feel just of my punishment. Letting go and moving on are always the hardest part. Albeit, losing my license and ability to travel freely felt horrible; I remember telling myself to be optimistic and embrace the things that were happening to me, not to cherish them but to harness them as a means to become something better.



Change is something that is not easy; its difficult, ugly and constant work. This situation was definitely not one of grace, with a mid 90’s steel mountain bike that had not been ridden in years and the 230 pound out-of-shape partier riding it 140 miles a week to get to work and school. The idea seemed insane to everyone around me; no one believed that I would actually get on the bike and ride, everyone was holding their breath wanting me to ask them for transportation.

Starting out the first week was miserable and I remember thinking this was going to be the worst six months ever. My optimism would remind me that at least it wasn’t winter. After the second week, I began to find peace and discover myself in ways that I never knew were possible. I knew now at this point that I would never ask for transportation and thus my love for cycling began. Instead of dreading the morning ride to school, I began to embrace it. After the first month, one of my co-workers offered me a newer road bike and shoes that he no longer wanted, it was an offer I couldn’t refuse.

Slowly those around me saw the change inside of me, as well as a physical change. I was becoming leaner, happier and more focused than I had been in years. Personally, I was feeling amazing and more confident. My weight had dipped under 200 pounds for the first time in 3 years. Although, this change was coming slowly and I wanted to embrace it as much as possible. This meant going beyond working out, this meant DIET!




In order to keep change moving, I had to dig deep and give up things I loved. This meant no more fast food, no more sweets and pretty much no more anything that tasted delicious. I remember having to convince myself of the values of fruit and vegetables while hating how they tasted. This was not going to be easy, but for the first time in my life I felt like I had control of a situation. I had the power and reserve to make it through even the hardest tasks.

As my love for cycling grew, riding for necessity turned into riding for recreation. Riding provided the structure from definite chaos. The recreational rides increased, so did my desire to try my hand at racing, and Colorado State University provided an excellent resource in its collegiate division. I was lucky to have some friends that were established officers with the team which made joining hassle free. It was something new and exciting for me; something that I was going head first into with no idea of the commitment required. But with that aside, I departed with my prior self and went looking into uncharted grounds…

No comments: