Thursday, April 1, 2010

Race 1... Sharp learning curve...

When going into a race in a place you never have been, in a country you've seen for less than a week, what you expect is pretty much unexpected. As far as the information for the race, no one on our team knew much. This making the unknown factor so much more.

As for the night before, I was asleep early but then a storm seemed to wake me up around 1am, and it felt like I never really was asleep again after that. I got up early, made the breakfast and made sure my machine was ready to go. Then laid back down to make sure I had at least some down time.

When the cars arrived to pick us up, we were blessed with the awesome weather that was to come during the race. SNOW.

Being from Florida, these are not typical conditions we ride in. I just found it funny, knowing this is going to make our unknown race that much more epic. So after about an hour in the car we made it to L'lle Bouchard, and we stopped at "Super U" which is a super market and the guys began to unload bikes. I guess we were at the race...

So it started to know again. Then registration opened inside the store, which was a new thing for me, to be at a grocery store for a race. This is in the photo below.
As we all got kitted up and pinned up, and the race got organized, we lined up in the parking lot for about a 2km neutral roll to the starting line. I had no idea what was going on the whole time. Eventually we got to a start line which was a familiar site! Then they introduced every rider and then gave us 10 minutes to get ready to race. Pretty much not speaking French was a handicap, since I had to ask the Latvians on our team what was going on. Unfortunately they don't speak a lot of French either. 

As the race started, I rounded a corner the normal American way and found myself with a sizable gap. I continued to pedal and was alone for the next 10km. This let me see that the course was not easy. It was super hilly and it was a constant 30-40mph wind. Welcome to France!

I came up the first KOM, and somehow won. Not that it was planned, I just have a knack for going around corners. So shortly after being caught, I seemed to make the front group and then seemed to get blown off the road and stay upright and make it back on the road. But then I was not closing the gap! I rode by myself for a lap, and then was in the 2nd group. 





Eventually that group got smaller and smaller as I decided to use the race for training and really give it gas up the climbs, since I am not the world's greatest uphill threat. This sort of made the group about 3 riders. A little past the halfway point in the race (70km) I got the axe. I would have liked to finish, but I guess it wasn't in the cards. I got back to the car and everyone but Stefan was there. So being the last man standing made me feel a little better about not being in the front group.


Stefan rode great and ended up 4th. All in all quiet the quick lesson in French Racing. I learned that its always windy, the race will usually have rain and snow, the roads are usually about 6 feet wide, French riders do not like corners and the races are that of attrition and selection. Looks like we are racing Saturday, Sunday and Monday; so there is a lot of time for redemption!

2 comments:

76vette.com said...

KOM is awesome! Registration at a supermarket is very weird, but maybe next time you'll get to do some shopping while there - LOL. Looking forward to the next installment of racing in France.

Matt Marinelli said...

Good work man, tear it up this weekend.