Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hello 2009! Hello GA! Hello Twlight Zone

Welcome back folks to the 2009 season! The season has started! These means long days and slow or slower rides! This venture started two weeks ago, as we rolled into the fall calendar for the Florida Points Series, with a nice 6 Hour day... This was great as I was able to get into the break on the Saturday Circuit. I kicked an attack with 4 laps to go and slowly got some people to follow to insure we stayed away.

The sprint was very close and I came out at 4th.

Sunday, we had a nice short Road Race and I felt like taking the bull by the horns, as we were in a combined 1,2,3 field and I wanted to thin the heard from the gun. Maybe not the best tactic, but I was able to rock 14th in the end after a long day of bridging gaps and sitting in breaks.

Moving into the next week, I had some back to back 4 hour days after taking Monday off. Then Thursday I went up to Georgia with some Florida mates; Josh Servi and Tom Bargnesi, for the upcoming six gap century. Not knowing what to expect, I rode a crappy gearing and worked hard all weekend. 11-23 was not great for those hills.

After the voyage, we rushed to get a ride in as soon as we arrived in Dehlonga, GA. We hustled and got kitted up and got in a nice 40 miler. As we got back, ate and drank a lot of beers, we got a phone call.... ENTER THE TWILIGHT ZONE

Our friends are on their way, but cannot find gas, and what is going on... there is no gas anywhere.

So we decided to start our trek for petrol... and to my surprise Georgia HAS NO GAS

Suddenly we morph into 1974! I need more beer for this one!

So eventually our mates found a station that had gas and made it to our cabin.... we head to bed and set voyage for our next epic day of riding.

WE wake up and gas seems to be the hot topic all day, eventually it became a joke about finding gas, but I was never far enough back in the group to hear the BS.

SO day one: we hit Niels gap, Jack's gap then right up to Brasstown Bald, then back up the other side of Niels to a nice lunch and some Newcastle.

Just to let you know we were not holding back... Josh and I were firing shots off like we were racing for a tour stage. Josh was definitely the man up Niels and somehow I was able to gas him up the Bald!

Back into town, we head for a night of Terrapin Pale Ale and food...

The next day (Still no gas) OH WAIT 45 mins in line at a station and we find gas!

Supposedly we are having a nice easy ride, but a group of cyclists can never ride easy. We hit up the back side of Woody's gap and start another epic throw down...

Saturday night we ate in and did not party as the century was upon us.

CENTURY DAY!!!!

So there is more people than I have ever seen and I felt awful for the first 40 miles. I came unglued on Jack's gap and rode in small groups the rest of the day. Somehow I felt great the last 20 miles and rode flat out. I came in at 5:40.... Pretty respectable. Josh came in around 5:55 and Tom had a Mechanical. Honestly this was the hardest century I have ever done. 6 epic climbs spread into 104 miles, made this not for the kids. I was in pieces after rolling in.

So this meant tons of food and BEER

We party and Head back Monday.....

20 hours later and 500 miles later... Hello 2009

No comments: