Monday, May 31, 2010

Taking Any Luck I Can Get

So after finding out I was not broken, I figured that racing the next weekend was not entirely out of the question or crazy. After two rides during the week it still seemed a little iffy. Also, I was still walking around like a 60 year-old hip replacement recipient, so racing my bike was at least going to be interesting.

Thankfully the weather here had took another turn and it was glorious all week. Unfortunately I only got to see two days of it, since I was hanging out in my bed most of the time trying not to move. But as Saturday morning rolled around, so did the clouds. 

Typically races start around 2 or 3pm here, but Saturday was a 10am start. We had been informed that our pick up was at 7:30. So basically everyone was up at 6am, shuffling for breakfast and coffee. Our course was to the Vendee Provincial Championships and from what we had been told the course was very rolling, but shorter at 100km.

Coming into the start town of Thoringy, we were graced with rain. The day was going to be wet and windy. Finally we got underway, with attacks out of the gun. We managed to stay dry for the first 20km, then the winds and rain came down. As we started to hit some crosswind sections the race was coming into groups and splitting. I was doing everything in my power to stay in the saddle and in the right position. Kalvis was able to make the break, as Ulmo and I stayed in the peleton following wheels. 

After the second pass back through Thoringy, we hit another section of crosswinds. Somehow I had a lapse in attention and was in the autobus all of the sudden, realizing that the peleton in front of me was in reach I jumped across having to burn some matches to get there. Eventually we did right as the group hit one of the 120 degree corners. 

With 40km to go we hit the local laps, which consisted of two climbs, making things not so easy on the legs. Halfway into the first lap Ulmo asked how far we were along and was opting to pull out since conditions were less than optimal. With 3 laps to go I felt ok up the KOM and found myself in the first 5 riders over the top. My legs were ok and I figured with the wind and course that someone might be able to stay away on the last lap. 

Coming into the last lap, I tried to attack in the head wind section and was given some room. My move was soon countered and our speed did not drop under 50km/h until the KOM. As my legs recovered, I knew someone was going to want to kill it up the KOM, so I did the same and found myself off the front with 3 other riders. As we hit the top, the US Montobaun rider countered and I had no response. I was able to slot in line as we sat at 65km/h coming into the sprint. I found it a little funny since we were sprinting for maybe 10th at best. These guys were murdering it in horrible conditions. At 500 meters to go I figured 15th and 20th were no difference, so I rolled in safely as France has gotten enough of my skin. 

I was pretty surprised at a top 20 result since I was still not walking normally and the course contained 6 KOM's for the day. Something that really is not suiting to my riding style. Hopefully I could repeat the performance tomorrow on a flatter parcourse.

Sunday was back to a typical or actually later start time, at 4pm. So we got to enjoy sleeping in since we were not getting picked up until 12:30. I was on my last day of antibiotics and hobbling a little less than Saturday. Today was prime to be a good day! 

As we got to the start in a park in the middle of nowhere, there were a good amount of riders with a starting field of 110-120 riders. It was also extremely windy out so positioning today was going to be key. From the course description we got, there would be about 80km consisting of two loops and then a finishing circuit in Riaille. The race was typical from KM 0, attacks galore. As we came through every city, the amount of traffic furniture was an issue, it seemed we had 5-7 round-abouts and 3-4 traffic islands to avoid in every city we rolled through. About 20km into the race, we rolled into one of the smaller cities, made a sharp left and all of the sudden it was like being in a gun range.

Little did we know at two meters from each curb and in the middle of the road where small (one meter high) signs. Each one of these signs claimed riders. Overall, I think 6 riders hit signs, seeing and hearing it was quiet an experience. These riders created a yard sale in the road taking down 10 more riders. Thankfully I was right in the middle of this as it happened and managed to avoid all carnage. Coming to a stop to traverse the downed riders was not something I wanted to do, but it was better than being the guy on the ground. 

Obviously this caused a massive split with about 50 riders going clear. I put my head down and got in line for the chase. As it looked like we made it back in 10 minutes, I realized that 4 riders infront of me a rider pulled the plug after leaving an 800m gap. At these speeds and wind, that was going to be super hard to pull back. Being in a group of 8 riders we rolled turns trying to make it back. Unfortunately this just did not happen. 

The organization allowed us to come into the local laps, but then we were forced to retire after that. True to French racing, 35 riders finished from our huge field. At the car some laughs were exchanged about the crash, because Kalvis was thinking there was no way I could crash again and was worried since I was not in the field and riders had to be transported to hospitals after that crash. Fortunately I was just gapped off. Be it bad luck, I will take that any day over winding up on the ground again!

No comments: