Saturday, June 28, 2008

Cox Charities and Long Waits

So yesterday was a long day, the team director got lost coming to the Providence Airport... All in all I sat waiting in the port on my labtop for 7 hours.

I had my share of $10 airport entrees and moved to the vending machines for some gatoraid and pretzles to hold me over.

He picked me up in due time, we ate at a small pizza joint and I had a great sub and then it was to the hotel.

I woke up and went immediately got my bike dialed in, got my kits and helmet and then some lovely Odwalla Juice (Its the Jam) and went for an opening ride and some lunch.

Steve, my roommate for the next two days opted for Ihop, but there was a huge wait, so we went to the local burrito joint and got our grub on... Only to be interrupted by the team DS letting us know we had 25 minutes to get back to the hotel for the race... Great planning on our part

So we get to the race no problems, and great no parking...

Good thing we have bikes...

My warm up was not quite up to par as we had team meetings and had to work out radio issues. But no worries, I was planning on attacking early anyway.

The course was sick, 1 mile loop with a great climb. This thing was like the kicker going up Buckhill rd. on the Sunday Windermere Ride.

So going up to the line, I had a crap spot again! This time it only took me two laps before I was off the front.

Then boom, I came around the 4th corner way too hot and blew out a tyre. Somehow I managed to stay upright, as a crash insued behind me.

As my luck continued a turn for the worse, a break got established during my free lap.

I get back into the race and make my mark, I did not sit anywhere past the 10th wheel the rest of the day. I made sure I was top 5 up the climb every lap. This set me up great for the field sprint, but I was bottlenecked a bit a came across for 17th.

Not a bad day even with some mishaps. The scandium bike I am riding is wicked stiff, so if blow the rest of the week its not the bikes fault.

One final note, as I promised you all I would forget something, it became apparent in the morning when I had tooth paste, but no TOOTH BRUSH!!!

Tomorrow is the Heart Break Hill GP, so hopefully I can show up again...

5 comments:

Tom Bargnesi said...

G-

Way to get some face time with the team management...too bad about the blowout and you still came across top 20. Awesome,dude! Good luck tomorrow!

GLIG

onegoalmind said...

good job garrett. i hope laz did not put the tire on. have fun with colavita. good luck in the rest of the races.
JPR

Unknown said...

Garrett,
Great racing even with the tough break. Some anonymous poster put a link on the Windy site with the results and you're no where to be found. Are you riding under Garrett White?

Darrell and Jennifer said...

Awesome Garrett, keep pushing I feel a top 10 coming up soon and more!

Darrell

Garrett White said...

To avoid any confusion...

I had to race in the Catagory 2 race as a new rule this year for NRC events.

So sorry for any confusion