Monday, June 30, 2008

Thompson Raceway GP

Its that time again....

Another day and another race down....

So no riding this morning, just took pretty easy, the races were set pretty late as the Pro race was scheduled for 7pm. So we had a nice IHOP breakfast, then nap... then I did some work, packed my stuff and boom off to Connecticut.

So a little course description for this race... It was a 1.1 mile Nascar oval. Sounds like it would be pretty stupid to go around in a circle for that long, but this was actually one of the coolest damn crits I have done.

We had a smaller field, only 65 guys, some usual gangsters there for the week, Rite Aid was there in full force, Justin Spinelli, Ward Soler and the LG Crocs Cycling team from Quebec...

Down to race time, it goes from the gun, with in 10 minutes there are 5 groups split across the course, our whole team made the split and we began helping Rite Aid drive the pace. Eventually, the race came back together as the weak were shelled and a LG crocs rider took a massive flyer and was 3/4 of a lap ahead of us before Rite Aid decided it was their race. We sent two guys to help pull the move back and it came together with 9 to go.

At some point I was feeling super good and took a prime for the overall points standing. Our DS was amped since our name got called out.

We countered and it stayed away until three to go, then the sprint actually started then. I was fighting for wheels, I knew Clayton Burrows is a fast finisher and the fight was on, I ended up on Chris Scott's wheel which I didn't think was a good one, but held on, he opened up the sprint in the middle of the two lead out trains of Rite Aid and LG Crocs. I swerved off his wheel and got in the crocs train and sprinted their guys out.

Chris Scott somehow took us by surprise and won, I managed 7th and holy smokes I learned to sprint. I was the best placed finisher from our team

As soon as I head back to the trailer, our DS told me to stay suited up as I was to race the immediate next race, Catagory 2, not really my plan... But you can't say no when you are fighting for a team spot.

So back to back races...

I ended up in the break for the first half of the race then I stayed at the front marking attacks and moves for a teammate I set up the road. I spent 5 laps going across after some gomer decided to take me halfway for free, but I didn't have enough gas in the tank. We dominated the race and finished 1st, 2nd, 4th and 8th(me).

So all in all, two races and two top 10's

Nothing wrong with that. I may take tomorrow off to get prepared for Fitchburg, but we'll play it by ear after I get my morning massage and adjustment.

Thanks for stoping by again... Hope this is as fun to read as it is for me to be here.

Thanks again for all of your support! If I had a million dollars, I might buy you all cheesy tourist-esque gifts from beantown.

8 comments:

Tom Bargnesi said...

G-

Great racing...you are beating some of the best in the country...I think you've nailed a spot on the team! Two races back to back...did anyone else get asked to race twice? Enjoying the write ups on the blog...keep feeding us back here who are living vicariously through your experiences!

I love riding in New England...lots of hills and country roads.

Enjoy!

Tom

johnb said...

Garrett,

Man, you turn your back around here and someone turns pro on you.

Great job Garrett, enjoying the blog.

John B.

Darrell and Jennifer said...

I told you I had a good feeling about a top 10! Rock on...

Darrell

Unknown said...

"Love your show"!

Mom and Dad

Garrett White said...

No one else had to race back to back... So I was kind of the only dude on double duty...

Unknown said...

Awesome G...you are kicking some semi pro butt. Remember my friend Dan Vaillancourt who made the team the same way last year. You're on a roll and well on your way.
Congrats on a great day!
Wayno

Unknown said...

Didn't you race on the Colorado National Speedway back in the day? Those racecar crits are fun. What better course to race twice on? I raced 3x on the CNS.

CatOneCoach said...

50mph downhill in the rain? I'll pass on that one!

AB