Friday, July 4, 2008

Fitchburg Stage Two

Holy hard stage....

When you don't ever climb hills... This course is not for you. It was a course not for kids. 92 miles of agony and pain.

So pretty much the race was one of attrition.... Lap by lap the field became smaller and smaller, by lap three I was contemplating why I was a cyclist, and wanting to quit and enjoy my 4th of July. Then every lap I was stronger and felt better and better....

Then on the last time through the feed zone, BOOOOOM disaster struck. I was in the front group when some genious spectator/feeder decided they were just going to drop their bottle right in the road directly in path with my front wheel. I hit the deck hard, I was stunned. I exchanged some choice words with the gentleman regarding his skills as I got on my bike and attempted to limit my loses. I chased until I was on the verge of blacking out. I ended up 11 minutes in the hole by the end of the day. The majority of our team DNF'd. We lost one guy to a crash in the first 5 miles, another guy the first time up the climb, and another guy by lap 4.

I must say this was the hardest course I have ever done. Puts anything else to shame. The sad thing was I was there at the end and had some bad luck. The team DS was really happy that I dug hard and did not give up. He told me that he was estatic to have me for this weekend and enjoys watching my racing style. So kudos to me...

The was a little rough since we were in a time crunch to get to the race. Which was a little bs, but out of my hands. We made it there with enough time for me to sign in and get on my bike...

Little bit of stress there... but oh well thats life

Tomorrow is another hard day with a 50 mile circuit race that has a lot of climbing. So one thing is certain for me... By the time I get back I am going to be going really fast after some nice rest days..

Now we are in the hunt for stage wins.

Thanks for stopping by and we'll see you with tomorrow's good news

1 comment:

onegoalmind said...

keep going garrett. you will do better tomorrow. just remember pain is only temporary quiting lasts a life time. have fun.
JPR